Sunday, April 18, 2010

Wild Country (2005)


Rating: 4.5

I really wanted this to be better. It's not a terrible movie but there are things I wish the movie makers would have done differently.

What I did like about Wild Country is the setting. It takes place in Scotland with a group of young people (I love the thick Scottish accents) doing an overnight hike on the moors. They end up being terrorized and picked off by a creature that's supposed to be a werewolf. The werewolf actually looks (and sounds) more like a cross between a black bear and a wild boar. Whatever it was, it didn't look good. It looked very fake. The movie takes place mostly over the coarse of one night. The lighting was bad. I watched it during the day so I'm sure that didn't help, but I don't think it really made too much of a difference. The movie was so dark that you couldn't see what was going on through big chunks of it. Most of the action was hardly visible (which may have been a blessing....the fx seemed pretty bad) and you had to kind of figure out what was happening based on the audio. The script was cool so it wasn't all bad just listening to the movie. I liked the dialogue and I actually had the urge to turn on the subtitles just to make sure I was catching it all.....the accents were very thick. There really isn't much to Wild Country, but I guess I wouldn't say it was a complete waste of my time.

No comments: