Sunday, April 18, 2010

C.H.U.D. (1984)


Rating: 8

I was pleasantly surprised by how good C.H.U.D was. I expected a bunch of '80's cheese but there was actually very little.

C.H.U.D., Contaminated Hazardous Urban Disposal, actually creates C.H.U.D., Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers. There are many homeless people that live underground New York City. When hazardous waste is illegally dumped down there and then covered up, the radiation turns these people into grotesque creatures who have a taste for human flesh. The story is creepy. They did a good job of building up the tension in this movie. I thought the story was pretty original. The C.H.U.D. themselves don't look too bad for being made in the '80's. The eyes glow a bit too much, but in my opinion, this movie would be a prime candidate for a remake just to see how realistic and scary they could make the C.H.U.D.. The acting in this was really very good. I liked the characters, especially Daniel Stern's character who runs the soup kitchen. If you're in the mood for a horror movie that has a good story and good acting, with a decent amount of gore, then I suggest you check out C.H.U.D..

No comments: